Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Bartholomae - Inventing the University

I think we have all been here. Trying to figure out what the teacher wants us to write, trying to figure out the best way to write it. I have to give David Bartholomae kudos for acknowledging students actually fake it. Initially, my thoughts on this article were along the lines of "finally, someone realizes that I'm trying to do twenty things at once and please twenty different people who each want fifty different things from me". But then, I wasn't sure what his advice for me was. As a student, as a writer, should I really just go on faking it?

Bartholomae seems to assert several times through his article that student writers simply have no choice but to conform to what their teachers want. He argues exercises that ask students to write to someone who has no knowledge of the topic are near pointless. The clearest expectation Bartholomae presents, in my mind, is when he writes "One of the common assumptions of both composition research and composition teaching is that at some "stage" in the process of composing an essay a writer's ideas or his motives must be tailored to the needs and expecations of his audience." This idea, I think, says "yes, fake it, but be as real as possible while you're at it."

Since when did writing become so complicated? We have to address the audience, but not at the same time. Remember to follow a "Process", but don't follow the "process". And then we have to fake it and be real all while revising as we write but remembering to hold revision until we're done with the draft. If nothing else, this article has helped me to understand that like everything else in the world, there are several ways to think about writing - several ways to teach it, critique it, do it and move it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your analysis. I agree with you that it's very difficult to "please your audience," because that means you have to tailor everything you write to them. This may mean changing your language, style, etc. when you really do not want to, and as a result you feel you are being "fake." It's hard to be able to have your own style and at the same time know you are being graded by a teacher, and thus need to ultimately make sure he/she likes it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh--yes!--that writing from the perspective of Comp Theory becomes a convoluted, entangled matrix of conflicting, redundant, and even refreshing perspectives. But I give my Kudos to Bartholomae along with you; I also like the paradoxes (It seems the plural for that should be paradoxi) that you drew out, by the way.

And based on what Jeanne said above, about the student (tennis ball) being metaphorically smacked around by the (rackets of) concerns of teacher appeal and style, I was thinking yesterday, when heloing a friend (hahaha! not even one of my tutees! I REALLY have to take care of that...) with her essay. I almost thought it best to feel the teacher out in the first week of any given course where there will be writing and be like, "Listen, buddy, I don't know who oyu are and stuff like 'dat (okat, loose the NY accent) but I just want to know If I can be comfortable writing in my own style, so long as it fits your instructional paradigm..." Then, even from there, how the instructor answers the question--even facial cues--the student can gauge better the extent to which he or she can go one the bridge-side of voice/style.

What are Kudos? Are Kudos like Props? Like, "Hey man, I give you mad props for that..." ?