Monday, October 29, 2007

Inquiry Contract

ENG 401: Inquiry Contract

I am interested in looking at academic discourse and the accessibility of academic discourse to people of differing social and economic statuses. I am interested in this topic and motivated to research it first because I have an interest in understanding people of different cultures and the communication mechanisms between them. Secondly, I am interested in this topic because I would like to find out if academic discourse is effective and able to reach a wide array of audiences.

While I try to keep an open-mind regarding academic discourse, my current perceptions are that academic discourse, as it is normally presented, is alienating of several audiences. I think one of the main reasons there are less traditional-minority students in higher education is because of their lack of proper instruction and understanding of academic discourse. I agree with some theorists who have said academic discourse is confusing and often incomprehensible to those outside the particular discourse community. There are clear rules and guidelines for academic discourse that I believe students, particularly from social and economic minority groups.

The questions I will try to address in my inquiry project are:
1) Are students from differing social and economic minority groups less likely to effectively engage in academic discourse than students from majority social and economic groups?
2) How can teachers make academic discourse communities more accessible to all students?

Sources:

Primary – I will do interviews and possibly survey College students of differing social and economic backgrounds.

Secondary – “On Language as a Mirror” by Stella Humphries, Reflections Vol. 1, No. 1

“The Language of Exclusion: Writing Instruction at the University” by Mike Rose, College English, Vol. 47, No. 4

“Trends & Issues in Postsecondary English Studies”, 2000 Edition – with excerpts from Victor Villanueva, Joy Ritchie and Kathleen Boardman, Julie Lindquist, Jacqueline Jones Royster and Jean C Williams

“Schooling and the Silenced “others”: Race and Class in Schools…” Lois Weis, Michelle Fine and Annette Lareau

3 comments:

Kara's blog said...

Susan, It sounds like your project has an attainable goal and direction based on the fact that you already have several sources and options for your paper. I think this will be an interesting topic to consider and that you can take it in many different directions.

Are you planning on focusing specifically on undergrads? If so, it might be interesting to look at the difference between the dynamic at a private school, like Elmhurst, and a more diverse group at possibly a state school.

I think your topic prompts readers to really think about the issue, and at the very least, bring it to their attention.

Appplication of Contemplation said...

My Dear this project has you written all over it and I cannot wait to read it!

I would also like to add that I know you feel strongly against academic discourse in that it is limiting in access; so I suggest perhaps finding the why people feel a need for academic discourse even with its limitation? I figure it would be a great naysayer perhaps.

I also am curious in that suggesting teachers to make academic discourse communities more accessible to all students are you then also suggesting that they learn how to partake in academic discourse once the wall is broken?

Just a thought. Again, I know you are a balanced writer and person and I really can't wait to read your synthesis of what you find during your inquiry :)

KOpal said...

Susan,

You totally got a B in feature writing, too. Tragic.

With that being said, I still think you are pretty smart and I think this subject will lend itself to a great inquiry paper.

Like Kara mentioned, I think it would be a good idea to contrast smaller private schools vs. public schools. Or schools in different demographics- at the U of Iowa, we had a shockingly low number of minority students.

Proportionately, the state of Iowa has the nation's largest number of black incarcerations. How this affected the black population at our school and conception of minorities in general was sort of interesting- perhaps you can integrate some of this into your paper.